About The Tower

Pulpit Rock Tower

 

Pulpit Rock Tower stands alone as the only cylindrical reinforced concrete observation tower built by the United States Government in the World War II defense of the New Hampshire seacoast.Built in 1943, the tower is eight stories high with an observation platform on the top level.  The tower has 12” thick reinforced concrete walls, 13.5” thick reinforced concrete floors, and spiral concrete steps versus the wooden ladder system found in most towers.   Pulpit Rock Tower had electric lighting and a dedicated telephone line to Ft. Dearborn, as well as connections with the other thirteen towers for the relay of ship coordinates.Pulpit Rock Tower is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was also selected by the NH Preservation Alliance as one of the 2010 “Seven to Save”, a select list of seven endangered properties in NH.

Comments are closed.